Your CV has secured you the
interview, now it’s your turn to
impress! Follow our tips below to
help land your dream job…
1. Your Smith&Cameron consultant will have provided you
with information about the company, role, team, full
address and who to ask for when you arrive at the
interview. You will also be given any further interview
preparation specific to the role. We strongly recommend
you research the company’s website to gain an in-depth
understanding of the business.
2. Make sure you thoroughly understand what the role
involves, and have questions prepared to ask the
interviewer. It is essential you also know your own CV –
don’t get it out in the interview and read from it!
3. Know the route you are going to take to the interview
and allow plenty of time to account for any unforeseen
delays. Aim to get there 10-15 before the interview time.
4. Always dress smartly. There is no second chance to make the first impression!
Males - a smart business suit is essential along with a crisp shirt and business tie, polished smart shoes, well groomed and not too overpowering aftershave.
Females - a suit is essential and plain court shoes (not stiletto heals!) are the best option. Keep jewellery to a minimum and bright nail varnish should be avoided. Long hair should be tied back.
5. Shake the interviewers hand firmly (but not too hard!),
and maintain eye contact with them throughout the
interview. Sit up straight and don’t fidget. Answer clearly
and concisely and always back up your answers with
appropriate examples. Don’t be too critical of your last
employer as it creates a negative impression.
6. If you are interested in the role, then let the interviewer
know. Ask what the next stage is. The interviewer will
like that you are interested in working for them!